Friday, July 9, 2010

Possessions

Possessions are the belongings of a person that may or may not be of great sentimental value. These possessions  define the owner's personality and his/her sense of individuality. A person who sees the world in its beauty, admiring the unique shapes and hues around him and capturing them in his mind may possess a lot of photos, paintings or even journals. It all goes to differentiate one person to another.
My possessions similarly define my inner persona and signify the stages in my life that have made me who I am today. Being very protective of my belongings, I value all of them exceedingly but my three most treasured possessions are a pen, an iPod and a shawl
To any outsider, these things may seem insignificant or even useless. For me these things are linked to three superior aspects in my life. The pen was gifted to me by my grandfather and it was very special. An original Shakespeare antique, it made every word I wrote feel special and would inspire me to no end. I have never been a good orator and writing has been the ideal outlet for my emotions, ideas, thoughts, inspirations and the passion I felt for things. Holding a pen similar to that used by perhaps the greatest writer of all times and times to come, brought compassion to my compositions and a spark of originality. My grandfather who shared my love for reading and writing had given me something that would forever remain special to me. 
Next, my iPod, a common belonging of a teenager. For me, music is not only a muse but a sort of refuge, that forms a solid wall around me, blocking everything out and making me relax enough to rearrange my thoughts and solve my problems. Most of the time I'd like nothing more than to plug in my iPod and curl up with a good book. 
The shawl is perhaps my most prized of the three for it belonged to my late grandmother whom I loved the most. Her gentle character moved me and she had a motherly aura around her that filled me with warmth. Her death came as a shock to me and I struggled to keep myself going, like she would have wanted me to. Her white shawl, which she gave to me before her death emanates the same aura and brings back a flood of memories whenever I see it, instilling in me a desire to follow her example.
Therefore, the pen symbolizes my passion for writing, the iPod, my interest in music and the shawl, love for  
my family. These possessions are a part of me without which I would sure feel incomplete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

No creepy smileys, feedback would be awesome.